PHP has been the most loved server-side programming language to date with two amazing and popular frameworks: Codeigniter Vs Laravel.
Since inception, both CodeIgniter and Laravel have emerged as the finest frameworks that are secure, complex and scalable for developing web applications.
What are the differences and pros and cons of these two PHP frameworks?
Let’s understand multiple aspects of these two frameworks – Laravel and CodeIgniter i.e. skills, features, development requirements and project process. By the end of this blog, you will get the answer to which is the best Laravel Or Codeigniter!
All about Laravel Framework?
Being an MIT licensed framework, Laravel runs on MVC (Model View Controller) architecture to develop web pages or apps. Its source code can be found on GitHub and it’s a trustable PHP framework in terms of security.
With a unique and expressive syntax pattern, it becomes easy to perform regular web development activities like routing, authentication, sessions, and caching to cut down development resources and time.
Top features of PHP Framework Laravel
- Standard Packaging
- User-friendly Blade-Templating Engine
- Best Session Control
- Great ORM Option in Query Builder
- In-built Authentication and Caching system
- Simple Integration with other Libraries
- Newer Admin Panel Generator
All these features of Laravel help you create a completely functional and user-friendly admin panel quickly. You can select any three of the tools for this:
- LaraAdmin: Admin Panel + CRM
- Voyager: The Missing Laravel Admin
What is the CodeIgniter Framework?
CodeIgniter is a robust and strong PHP framework. It’s most desired to create full-featured web applications, then CodeIgniter is the simplest and most elegant framework to do so. In other words, it’s the best PHP framework to create scalable websites.
CodeIgniter is not a strict follower of the MVC system. It enables the integration of 3rd party plugins for executing further difficult functionalities. The security concern in CodeIgniter matches with Laravel.
Unique features of CodeIgniter Framework
- Easy-to-use MVC Framework
- High-end Security & XSS Filtering
- Excellent Data Encryption
- SEO-friendly URLs
- Session Management
- Image Manipulation Library
- Quite Light Weight Framework
- Form & Data Authentication
- Error Logging
- Provide Class for Template Engine, Calendar, & Unit Testing
- Hooks & Class Extensions
- Inbuilt Class Support for shooting emails
- Supports Data and Paging Encryption
Pros and Cons of Laravel and CodeIgniter
Benefits of Laravel Framework
- Easy learning curve
- Has its CLI
- Use Symfony Elements
- Excellent for creating RESTful APIs
- Powered by an amazing built-in ORM
- Can create web apps with authentication easily
- User-friendly Framework even for beginners
Benefits of CodeIgniter Framework
- It is aptly documented
- It’s an Open Source
- Output Caching
- Lightweight framework
- User-friendly templating engine
Downsides of Laravel Framework
- Laravel is heavy in size
- Using model properties isn’t easy
- Have no Unit Testing
Downsides of CodeIgniter Framework
- Some basic functions are missing
- Compared to Laravel CodeIgniter is older and outdated
CodeIgniter Vs Laravel – Which is the Best?
These are some of the differences between Laravel and CodeIgniter PHP frameworks. By now, you would have understood the real features and downsides of both the PHP Frameworks. So, it’s time to make up your mind and make a rational decision which framework you should opt for, for your next web development project considering your project needs and budget.
Whatever framework you may select, you would have to look for a right Laravel Development Company India, with experienced web developers having a few years of PHP development to their credit. You can get in touch with our experts, as we are one of the leading Laravel Development Company India, and we’d be happy to assist you in your next project.